Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hudson Bay Point Blanket



Any Canadians should recognize this immediately, it's the design of a Hudson's Bay Point Blanket which is iconic Canadiana.  
Being Canadian, this makes me feel like home.  We had a couple of these woolen blankets when I was growing up and they were snuggly warm on a cold winter's night.

Edited to add:  I'm thrilled my card got an Honorable Mention this week at CASology!
                                                                              

Sadly, the shooting in Ottawa yesterday means some families will need some comforting.  This blanket to me is a symbol of support, unity and love.

I used a light colored textured kraft cardstock and blended distress ink over masked off stripes.  It looks fuzzy, just like the real thing!  The small four straight black lines are the "points" of the blanket.  The points indicate the size of the blanket: the more points, the bigger the blanket therefore the more it is worth.  I have a stamp coming that says "snowy days are for snuggling" I would have loved to have used, but since it hasn't arrived yet, I put my finished card through the printer (holding my breath!) and printed a different sentiment. On the picture it looks like I Photoshopped the words in but they really are printed on the card - I would have lined them up better if it was Photoshopped!



                              

 
I inked up the front and the back of the card so it looks just like a blanket!

(The blue is showing very bright on these two pictures - the top picture is the true color)












I'm putting this in  CASology cue card Home and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog use kraft.







 
Irrelevant Info: When my dad first emigrated to Canada from England in the late 1950's he actually worked for the Hudson Bay Company in Northern Ontario right on the actually Hudson's Bay.  Believe it or not, he was in the ladies lingerie department! Lingerie means something entirely different now-a-days.


Thanks for Looking,
Karen




5 comments:

  1. So, so clever! I love the take on this iconic Canadian blanket and perfect for 'home'! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely way to think of the victim of this sad event. I just love the creative way you tackled the cue card! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic, Karen! You've captured the design of the blanket perfectly and it's so perfect for this week's theme. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card with symbolic meaning to it! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at CASology. May

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful card! Great inspiration, too! Thanks so much for playing along with the Get Krafty challenge on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete